Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rocked Under




Rocked Under by Cora Hawkes


My first official blog and this book is not even about one of my favorites. Anyways, let’s begin.

Emma and her mom left England to start a new life. She’s moved in with her cousin Ashley into a new home to start as college freshmen. That’s when she meets Scott, their upstairs neighbor. He’s a tattooed singer in a local rock band with a predilection for fights and easy women. Sounds beautifully familiar so far? That’s because it is.

For the most part, Rocked Under follows the same format as Beautiful Disaster with slight variations. One, Scott is a rocker and not a fighter (although, he does fight a lot). Two, this book is not written as well. Ashley has the same characteristics as Abby A. She’s the virgin freshman who won’t give the school man-whore the time of day. She also has the same daddy issues.

Now, I must fully divulge that I am a huge, HUGE BD fan. Big as in I-read-it-seven-times-and-will-possibly-make-it-to-18-by-the-end-of-the-year big. So, even with the seemingly bad review, I still liked it only because it seemed so familiar. Just like I love reading all the adaptations of Pride and Prejudice. Calm down all you Austenphiles. I am not comparing BD to P&P. I am comparing my love of re-reading favorite material in all of its variations.

Okay, one last time to b*tch. I really started to get irritated with Ashley’s character about midway throughout the book. Let’s leave out the instant, lusty, in-love obsession Ashley had for Scott. Personally, I like it more when it’s the other way around (Scott is plenty obsessed too but the book was written only in Ashley’s POV).  But it’s just that…that…she won’t stop obsessing about him. The book is nothing BUT her musings on how obsessed she is with Scott. She does think about her dysfunctional background but only in reference with her feelings with Scott.  But when Scott shows any interest in her, out comes the sneer, running, scorn and out-right b*tchery. Maybe if the author wrote about something else that captured Ashley’s interest, anything else at all, then it wouldn’t have been somewhat boring at time. It just got repetitive after awhile.

                Second, well... View Spoiler She loses her virginity to a guy she can’t even stand just to show up Scott. What the what???!!! So, let me get this straight. After keeping your vajay-jay intact for 19 years, you just throw it away to a guy you have no remote connection/attraction to. A guy that practically peer pressures her into having sex. I even understand why the writer decided not to give the Vcard to Scott because he really was a scumbag towards women but Holy Jeebus. The whole time she was with this other guy she kept getting creeped out by him. So naturally, she picks him out to relieve her of her, well, you know.  It really made no sense and her reasoning made me dislike her. Close Spoiler

 I KNOW, I KNOW, she’s a college kid and they do silly things sometimes but that’s dangerous ground in romance books. We like our characters flawed but we want them to have a back bone. When I start rolling my eyes because the h’s is acting all wishy-washy, it’s a slippery slope. Those books tend to end up in my unfinished pile.

I recommend this book for an easy, no brainer read. It was somewhat entertaining and some of the scenes when Scott goes after Ashley were admittedly hot as hell. I don’t regret reading the book but I would most likely would not be re-read either.

No comments:

Post a Comment