Friday, February 8, 2013

Torn by K.A. Robinson

Torn (Torn, #1)Torn by K.A. Robinson


My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Lowdown: Chloe is a freshman in college along with her best friend Logan and Amber. Here is where she meets bad boy rocker and man whore extraordinaire Drake. It was lust at first sight (nice). He lusts at first sight back (even better). Then, Chloe finds out that Logan (her best friend since high school) has been in love with her the whole time.

Screeeccchhhh! What?


I’m all for love triangles. I have been living off of them for a while now. One of my favorite shows, Haven, has an ongoing one in between all the sci-fi craziness. However, this one seems really...planted? Designed? I can’t find the words but it was just off.

And don’t get me started on Chloe. Uggh!



That girl..... Apparently, she is the hottest thing since (insert comparison here). But she doesn’t know it (of course you don’t, sweetheart). So she cannot possibly explain why all the guys she meets want to bag her?!


Oh, and by Day Two (the day she finds out Drake’s name btw), she already wants to “rip the arms off” a girl who was sitting on his lap.



The following ranting will make me sound like a moralist but I promise that I am not. Soap box starts now!
She’s not a slut. Oh, no. But she dresses and acts like one. She hated her mom because she was an addict and an alcoholic. But, she’s drunk almost every time with her friends (not buzzed or tipsy, falling on her ass drunk) And, finally she bounces back from one guy to the other. To both, she keeps claiming the other is only a friend and nothing else. (with a surprised look on her face... Every. Time.) If I guy pulled this sh*t, he’s an automatic douchebag.

Chloe does it and she’s what? Angst-riddled?


Don’t get me wrong. I don’t throw down a book because someone decides to cheat. In fact, I loved several of them that either the H or the h has cheated on each other. But the premise has been understandable and believable. You ache for the hurt they cause themselves and to others.
I’ve also read stories where the h was less than pristine. Loved those too. But those characters were either acting out, or, my personal favorite, know exactly what they are doing and don’t give a flying f&*k what anyone else thinks. What I can’t stand is when a character says/believes she is one thing, but she is something else all together.

And? And! View SpoilerShe only goes out with Logan in the first place because Drake pushes her away at first.Close Spoiler
So, Chloe risks being with her best-friend because:
a) feel sorry for him?
b) closest d*ck available at the time?
c) some other dumb reason.

Take your pick. I can’t understand how the author can create really awesome male characters but the female comes out….


I finished it because of the drama and because of Logan and Drake. But I really hate how it made me feel while reading it. It wasn’t emotional angst or heartbreak or anger at the plot. It was more like irritation.

Writing: Meh. I don’t like it when the author overly describes the plot and character traits to me rather than discovering it through the process. Makes me feel dumb.
Dialogue: Needs work
Heat: Medium to hot
Recommend:





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment