Saturday, February 2, 2013

One Week Girlfriend by Monica Murphy



Start gushing…..NOW!



  








What can I say about this novel without sounding a little fan-girly is that a word?. I stumbled upon this lovely little gem while trolling for new books in Goodreads which I promptly gorged within hours. HOURS, I tell you.

 

The lowdown: Drew has to come home from college for Thanksgiving. He doesn’t want to but he has to. So, what he needs is a buffer in the form of a girlfriend.


Too bad he doesn’t have one.

This is where Fable comes in. He offers her money (that she desperately needs) to be his girlfriend for seven days. Why does this gorgeous hunk of man candy need a fake girlfriend? This is the narrative hook.

Okay… I looked at the premise of the story and thought





I know. I know. I too have read thousand hundreds dozens of books with this kind of premise. Fake wife for the playboy CEO, fake girlfriend to show up the ex….. blah-bitty, blah, blah, blah


Believe me when I say this guy has a legitimate reason for hiring Faith. And it is messed up!




Lemme talk about my new book boyfriend. Drew *sigh*.  Sexy, distant, turmoil-ridden….Grrrrr. I have a thing for hot guys with monkish tendencies. 


I have read plenty of books with this type of character but they have all been historical romances: The Shadow and the Star by Laura Kinsale, The Wife Test by Betina Krahn, Scandal of the Year by Laura Lee Gurkhe. This is the first time I have come across one in a YA novel.

And Fable…I may have a girl-crush here.



She is a strong and feisty character without overstepping into the bitchy/irritating category. Ms. Murphy has done a great job with her. She’s the girl from the wrong side of tracks with a heart of gold.

I really wish I could forget this book just so I can read it again. I know it seems like this website is full of good reviews save for one book. I really don't like everything I read and I promise the very next book I come across that sucked will get the full heat of a thousand suns.

P.S. There’s a part 2 which I both hate and love at the same time. I love because I get to read more about Faith and Drew. I hate because….just cause. A lot of novels are coming out as part of a series. It’s difficult to keep track of them especially if you consume a ton of books (which I do).


Arrrrgh!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment