Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Surviving Raine by Shay Savage

Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)Surviving Raine by Shay Savage
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

*Me waiting for this book to go live*
eeexcelent

*Me when it finally went live*


*Me while reading this book*


So yeah, I neglected all while I read this book and it did not disappoint.

Think of the movie Cast Away and instead of
 photo tomhankscastaway_zpsc85de40b.gif

You get…..


And instead of
 photo wilson_zps3c69fefa.jpg

You get


Sebastian Stark is far from a hero. In fact, I’m pretty sure under normal circumstances at best he can be called a criminal. At worst (can’t tell you. That’s part of the narrative hook.) But these aren’t normal circumstances. He woke up from a drunken stupor with his schooner sinking and all of the life boats and passengers gone.

Except for one.

On both counts.

He saves Raine from certain death and now they are stuck in a life raft with enough supplies for one passenger. For years, Sebastian is used to securing his survival. He now has to worry about two.

The story is shown in the POV of Sebastian and you can see him going through all of his issues. Alcohol withdrawal. Anger management issues. Violent tendencies. All with Raine as a witness. The book is a unique story about survival and how two unlikely people can come together in unusual situations. Both Raine and Sebastian have to learn how to depend and trust each other. Even if it’s just for the sake of maintaining sanity.

To me, Raine was an alright character. She is not one dimensional per se. And thank God she is not a door mat (a hated female character book trait of mine). She was a bit of a “Mother Theresa” and the older I get such characters are lacking appealing to me.

 photo dullbored_zpsabc5b571.gif

But that is just a personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with virginal/sweet/kind female characters and I will take them over thinks-she’s-virginal-but-is-actually-a-skank/wishy-washy/can't-decide-if-she-wants-this-guy-or-that-guy characters any day of the week (my most hated trait and widely used by most new authors).

 photo ew_zps7212d049.gif

Like I said, a personal preference.

Just like me falling in love with Sebastian is another personal preference. When I say that he is a criminal, he is exactly that. In one of the worst ways possible. He is raised to behave like a rabid dog and acts accordingly.

 photo deanpointingagun_zps3694fa69.gif

Because of despite his dangerous tendencies, I can't help but feel for him. He is the by product of his environment. And within the little life raft, he tries to fight off his natural insticts...hard.

I liked the story. It was long but I thought the pace was pretty good. It kept me wanting to read it just to see what Sebastian would do next or how he handles a situation. It does not have a cliffhanger but the ending does leave an opening for a continuation to the series.

Kind of like when Jason popped out of the lake at the end of Friday the 13th. Same kind of…

 photo communityscaredgrosswtf_zps702ff590.gif

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment