Monday, June 1, 2015

The Game by H.J. Bellus






I really did want to like this book. I've read "That Girl" which is book one of this series and loved it to pieces.

This one....not as enamored.

When I started this book, I was really into it.



Then, I ran into the FC Jazzy. As soon as that happened....



Yes, Kevin, boy did it ever. And not in the way you meant it. I mean, downhill.

Levi is an arrogant, self-serving, football player currently on hiatus. In this story, he runs into Jazzy, a ball buster of a blonde, who is the best friend of his sister-in-law. As the norm in this genre, insta-attract happens and lusting ensues.

I have no problem with that at all. This is what I have a problem with... the instant snark that was turned up to 11. From the minute they meet to about several chapters in, every time the two protagonists collide it was just...


Jazzy was on a non-stop rant. Every time she ran into the poor guy it was like..


I understand. Levi was a lot to take. Yes, he's a bit of a d*ck. And, at first, he did come on strong. But, Holy Jeebus!!! 



It got more than a little irritating. I get. I get. You hate him because he was a douche when you first met.

And he rubbed you the wrong way.

And he looked at you funny.

No need for the constant reminder.

Although, I did finish the book so there is something to recommend in this story line. There were moments of true interest. I liked it when they just suddenly reveal parts of themselves in one line sentences to each other. It was almost as if they were having two different conversations to each other. Like all that poison and venom built up and suddenly let out, revealing their true inner cream cheese.

I have to tell you, though, That Girl was a much...much better book. I recommend picking that one up over this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment