Sunday, April 7, 2013

Falling for Hadie by Komal Kant


*me reading up to 79% of the book*

 
 
 

*me at 80%*




 
 
 
 
*me after the book*

 

Hadie has been hurt by her jock ex-boyfriend whom she’s had feelings for since they were kids. Now she is on a “no boy fly zone” mode. Unfortunately for Lincoln who just moved into their small town and new boy at school, he reminds her of her ex (a too good looking jock type). Sooooo insta-hate on Hadie’s side.

Lincoln is used to girls falling all over themselves over him. So when Hadie gives him the cold shoulder, he is more than intrigued. Besides, figuring out what her deal was is way better than dealing with what he ran away from back in New York City. And much more fun. Although he promised himself not to get close to anyone in his new home, he can’t help but be drawn to Hadie.

Hadie, try as she might, finds that Lincoln is not what she thought he was.

Etc. etc. etc.

The premise is not unique. But the writing was good so you can forgive the cliché. I must admit that Hadie was starting to get on my nerves when she started with the “all men are dogs” routine. Thank goodness the author cut it short (but not short enough IMO). But even then you can forgive Hadie for being a little bitter about dealing with boys in general…up to a point.

I’m not going to give away the bacon that gives the book its heft but I have to say that it came as a surprise. Even though I have read at least two books with the same exact twist, Ms. Kant still got me. Darn her! Let me just say that she handled it with grace and I hated appreciated the direction she took.

I have a few complaints though. It was her villan(s).

There were too many of them. It seemed…no it was…the whole entire school was against our heroes. Even with the popular kids being the shameless monsters they were portrayed to be I cannot imagine anyone acting that way especially since (read the book).

And Lincoln’s mom and sister…..

 

I couldn’t exactly understand what the fuck their problem was. So (in my mind) I have written that his mom spontaneously combusted and his sister got gonorrhea.

Writing: I was going to give it 3 stars but the last quarter pushed it to 4.

Characters: Some were exaggerated like a cartoon characters and the author went a hair too far with her villains.

Recommend: Yes

 

No comments:

Post a Comment