Thursday, March 21, 2013

Consequences by Althea Romig



**DO NOT START THIS SERIES UNTIL THE 3RD INSTALLMENT IS OUT (roughly at the end of 2013 to beginning of 2014) & SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE**

Since this book has been out for a while there are probably hundreds of reviews on it everywhere. So, this is not a review but more of a rant then?  I have a love/hate/hate relationship with this series. More hate/hate/hate/love in the first book. I will read the last one so the following will probably make me out to be a hypocrite. But honestly, it had to be said. This is a book about Tony and Claire. Plot lines were reminiscent of Beauty and the Beast meets Great Expectations. Not in grandeur or classic but just basic set up. And it went something like this.

*me starting to read this book*


*me during this book*





*me as the book goes on*



How can I hate the characters yet want to read the rest of the installment? Because I’m as crazy as these two turned out to be. In the beginning, I felt for Claire and all that she has been subjected to. She was a sweet, innocent girl that is in the cross hairs of a vendetta she had no part of with Tony as the executioner.

When I say she is abused by Tony….it’s the actual definition and not the romanticized version of what most Rom readers are accustomed to. She is not the prisoner that is caught but is treated well while in incarceration. She is an actual prisoner who is slowly stripped of her human rights (Stockholm syndrome and all).

It started out to be interesting but then……it got too loooooooooooong. What the author could have done in 20 chapters flat stretched out to 52 + an afterward. Her abuse and Stockholm syndrome got so repetitive that you just….

(I know…awful of me. Going to the special hell for that one)

There were flashbacks on Tony’s youth so that you can see why he turned out the way he did. (His family life did suck but personally I didn’t think it should have shaped him into the f*cking monster that he is). The flashbacks actually saved the book.

Oh. And the ending….which was

Even though you know the other shoe was about to drop, the delivery was quite excellent. So Kudos on that one.


Writing: Good, but so long. Alot of those scenes need to end up on the cutting room floor.

Characters: So frustrating! But good in the way that you want to find out more about them. Bad in the way that I end up wanting to put them out of their misery (preferably through spontaneous combustion).

Recommend: On a slow...slow reading day. And only when all three books are available. I swear if this author stretches this one to four I'm giving up and conceding defeat.


P.S. Stop here if you don't want to know the spoilers


Claire: Despite many opportunities to do so...why didn't you

If I could, I’d reach into my Kindle and smack the sense back into that woman. And she was not completely brainwashed. Her moments of clarity came when Tony became violent. But then….*raspberry*

Tony: I don’t care how bad a childhood you had. Short of Hannibal Lecter being your fucking daddy you had no excuse to beat and rape a woman. Especially, when she had absolutely nothing to do with your stupid vendetta except be born in the wrong family. So here's to you…Douchebag of the Year!

What made me even sick to my stomach is that I can see that the author is gearing up for the readers to be more sympathetic towards Tony and have him possibly end up with her romantically. But after what he put her through…. I just can’t buy it. I see her forgiving him. But I can’t see her forgetting.




No comments:

Post a Comment